Senior Environmental Designer, London
Atelier Ten London are looking for a Senior Environmental Designer to join our team.
About Atelier Ten
We’re an international consultancy creating high-performance, sustainable, award-winning buildings. Buildings that give back to the wider environment, don’t waste resources and make people feel good. We’ve been designing for the climate emergency since our founding in 1990.
Our focus is on delivering high-quality, award-winning building services and sustainable design. We’re innovative and multidisciplinary, with building services engineers, environmental design consultants and lighting designers all under one roof. Each of us is passionate about making the world a better place, and we all enjoy thinking beyond our own discipline. We add value to our projects through collaborative problem-solving; starting with first principles and verified with rigorous performance testing. We create long-lasting relationships with our collaborators, clients and colleagues throughout the industry.
You have a numerate degree in engineering, architecture, or a similar field. You have a track record of successfully coordinating and delivering sustainable and environmental design scope on projects and managing small project teams. If you get excited about learning new things, innovation and enjoy sharing your skills and knowledge across our company this is your chance to help shape the growth of our influential brand.
About the role
This job is a full-time position at our head office in London. You will work on developing highly sustainable urban and building design, advising on sustainability strategy, environmental design and building services solutions that will involve a mix of innovative technologies and approaches.
Responsibilities will include:
- Delivering environmental and sustainability advice on projects for both internal and external clients.
- Framing client briefs in terms of environmental and sustainable aspirations.
- Consulting on:
– environmental design,
– sustainable strategies,
– healthy buildings,
– passive building design including energy, water and daylight design
– performance modelling and optimisation,
– the circular economy, including carbon, energy, water, waste and other resource flows,
– sustainability and wellness benchmarking and implementation,
- Underpinning recommendations with sound analysis, including building physics.
- Coordinating recommendations and approach with the building services engineering concepts, working with in-house and external engineers to achieve this
- Acting as project manager for the environmental design scope and taking responsibility for the successful project delivery. This would include:
– independent, proactive project framing and planning,
– client management and communication,
– preparing for and attending client presentations and meetings,
– writing and reviewing technical reports,
– fee forecasting and resource planning,
– effective internal team coordination.
– ensure delivering performance modelling and certifications for benchmarking systems (BREEAM, WELL etc)
- Mentoring and supporting and nurturing junior staff in the team.
- Assisting in business development and winning new project work.
Qualifications and experience
To be considered for the job, you should be able to demonstrate proven track record in these areas:
- Successfully co-ordinating and delivering sustainable & environmental design input to projects
- Knowledge of and experience with the application of building physics packages
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, prioritise and to think strategically about the timing and delivery
- Engaging with and influencing peers outside of formal management relationships
- Strong writing skills for producing written reports
- Effective analytical and IT skills to develop new and bespoke assessment methods for project specific tasks and rendered in a manner that allows re-use
- Engaging and negotiating with senior management and peers on projects
- Specialist knowledge in a chosen discipline (e.g. performance modelling, circular economy, benchmarking etc)
What we offer
In return for your enthusiasm, expertise and commitment, you get:
- A competitive salary
- Benefits including private medical insurance
- Collegiate office environment in Shoreditch
- Broad variety in the work on offer
- Opportunities for career growth and support for professional development
Perhaps most importantly, you’ll get the freedom to contribute ideas and play an active part in the design process. You’ll get to make a genuine personal difference, in a way that’s not always possible in a bigger corporate environment.
Please send us your CV along with a cover letter to Priyanka Sharma at email@example.com. Including work samples or a portfolio in your application is desirable, but not essential.
Read our disclaimer for recruitment agencies here.