We are looking for a Senior Environmental Designer with sustainable design experience and specialist knowledge in building energy optimisation to consult on projects.
About the role
You will be responsible for delivering environmental and sustainability advice on projects for both internal and external clients. This will involve consulting on environmental design, sustainability benchmarking/implementation, daylight & shading design, sustainable systems, materials and waste, with emphasis on building energy optimisation. This consultancy will be demonstrated through sound analytics including building physics. Projects will range from masterplanning to detailed design of specific buildings across all scales and locations of the globe. Work will often be coordinated with an approach to the mechanical and electrical servicing concept, and where the project is for an internal client you will support design engineers to achieve this.
You will be responsible for leading and maintaining a range of projects, leading and maintaining environmental design inputs on a range of projects for internal clients and/or providing specialist knowledge to other projects/teams. Using industry benchmarks and internal standards, you will ensure the timely delivery of considered and accurate project information. Where projects are not being delivered to internal clients you but also provide a point of contact between Atelier Ten and our clients/collaborators. You will also be responsible for leading and co-ordinating the internal efforts of junior staff across Atelier Ten, providing appropriate frameworks and tools, agreeing appropriate standards and co-ordinating delivery against these standards.
We are looking for someone who has experience working in a fast-paced office environment with the ability to manage multiple deadlines and work as part of a team as well as having the initiative to work under limited supervision. You are proactive, self-motivated with strong interpersonal skills and comfortable working with colleagues on all levels.
- Demonstrate specialist knowledge in at least 2 or more practices’ expertise.
- Demonstrate a proven ability to provide consultancy for environmental design, sustainability benchmarking/implementation, building energy optimisation, daylight & shading design, sustainable systems, materials, waste and building physics.
- Demonstrate an empathy with Atelier Ten’s approach.
- Committed to the development of high-quality, high-performance, and sustainable buildings via the appropriate technical standards, costs and programme.
- Help to frame client briefs in terms of environmental and sustainable aspirations.
- Deliver technical solutions in accordance with client brief.
- Support and nurture junior/graduate members of the team.
- Demonstrate an awareness and understanding of other disciplines.
- Liaise with client, architect and other members of the internal & external design team with clarity and confidence.
- Organise junior staff to achieve solutions within agreed time scales.
- Maintain project overview: explain the status of relevant section of a project at any time.
- Be aware of both our agreement and the contractual relationships on the project.
- Mentor junior staff.
- Appreciate and assist in the need to generate business.
- Report any feedback or issues concerning the project.
- Foster positive relationships with clients and other members of the design team.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to prioritise and to think strategically about the timing and delivery of project information.
- Ability to structure the delivery of project information against evolving client brief in such a way as can be clearly explained to senior managers at the start of a project.
- Strong writing skills for producing written reports.
- Effective IT skills for producing relevant material, including knowledge and application of building physics packages.
- Effective IT skills to develop new and bespoke assessment methods for project specific tasks and rendered in a manner that allows re-use.
Qualified candidates ideally possess
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in a field related to building engineering, environmental building design, architectural engineering, building services engineering or building science.
- Candidates who are Chartered or working towards Chartership are highly desired.
- 5+ years’ professional experience in an engineering or sustainability consulting firm.
- Proven track record of leading and executing dynamic thermal modelling and energy modelling analysis.
- Experience in daylight modelling, computational fluid dynamic (CFD), parametric modelling and programming.
- Proficiency in IES VE, Radiance and Microsoft Excel.
- Skills with softwares such as Grasshopper, eQuest, EnergyPlus, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign) and Rhino or general programming or data visualization skill.
- Proven track record of successfully co-ordinating and delivering sustainable & environmental design input to projects within the public and private sector, with special focus on building energy performance.
- Proven track record of engaging and negotiating with senior management and peers on projects.
- Proven track record of engaging with and influencing peers outside of formal management relationships.
- Practical knowledge of managing small project teams coupled with the understanding to select frameworks/tools that are appropriate to particular circumstances.
- Strong writing skills for producing written reports.
- Applicants should have demonstrated skills in computer and hand drafting, have proficiency in written and spoken English, and good verbal, inter-personal and writing skills are required.
- Ability to work under limited supervision.
- Ability to prioritise work loads.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong ability to multitask.
Atelier Ten reserves the right to alter the content of this job description to reflect changes to the job, without altering the general character or level of responsibility.
Please send a covering letter and CV in PDF format to email@example.com