Atelier Ten, a global sustainable design consultancy, seeks an experienced Senior Environmental Designer, based in our Sydney office.
ABOUT ATELIER TEN
We are an international environmental design and sustainability consultancy creating high-performance, sustainable, award-winning built environment. Buildings and places that give back to the wider environment, don’t waste resources and make people feel good. We have been designing for the climate emergency since our founding in 1990.
From our offices in Sydney and Melbourne, we have been the sustainability designers for significant buildings and places that include the Sydney Modern Project at the Art Gallery of NSW, Atlassian Tower, TOGA Central, Sydney Olympic Park 2050 Vision and Masterplan, the Bays West Place Strategy, all in Sydney; Southbank by Beulah in Melbourne; Kambri Court precinct at ANU; and the WA Museum Booda Barlip in Perth. We collaborate regularly with our colleagues in Singapore, London, New York, and San Francisco on places like Gardens By The Bay in Singapore, the SFMoMA, and the Obama Presidential Library.
As a leading global green building consultancy with an established track record and a strong reputation in our local markets, we are poised to grow rapidly in size and influence both in Australia and New Zealand, collectively our business region. Having recently joined the Surbana Jurong Group of companies, all of us across Atelier Ten are also positioned now to join larger teams pursuing globally significant infrastructure projects.
Atelier Ten are also committed to deepening our thought leadership on sustainability topics including climate positive development, circular economy, and resilient and adaptable cities. We are also committed to service, encouraging all staff to be active in professional organisations teach in relevant university design programs.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Atelier Ten in Australia features a team of talented, thought-leading, experienced sustainable designers. We are fully focused on shaping a more sustainable future for our clients. As a project leader, you will be responsible for developing sustainability visions, identifying and recommending appropriate ESD initiatives, integrating them into the master plans and building designs, and guiding them through benchmarking programs like Green Star, NABERS, and WELL Building. You will also undertake complex, challenging simulation work; develop new tools and working methodologies; provide peer review and QA support, and train junior staff.
Atelier Ten are committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and diversity. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most innovative talent on our team. We also seek applicants who take a broad view of professional responsibilities and are active in professional service, teaching, or other extra-curricular and complementary roles.
The job is a full-time position in our Sydney office, working within our integrated team of environmental design consultants, sharing your passion for high performance architecture, engineering and building science. You will get to work on exciting and innovative projects ranging from mixed use developments, education, commercial, institutional buildings, and masterplans. You will work directly with clients, architects, engineers, and other consultants to provide analyses and recommendations that drive design decisions, enabling projects to meet challenging sustainability goals.
In your full-time role as a Senior Environmental Designer, you will:
- Manage large and complex sustainable building and master planning projects, with support from Associates and Company Directors
- Generate enthusiasm for project sustainability ambitions with clients and the project design team
- Lead technical environmental studies including daylight, energy, and thermal comfort analysis, with support from international practice leaders
- Your work will inform building design teams on strategies for energy conservation, carbon emissions reductions, net zero buildings, thermal comfort, and more.
- Independently scope and resource analysis tasks, assist with business development and ensuring reliable delivery within budget
- Guide junior staff in technical tasks and consulting
- Contribute knowledge and develop local expertise in technical design practices
- Benchmark against green building certification programs like Green Star, WELL, NABERS and others
- Create conceptual diagrams and illustrations
- Represent Atelier Ten and in professional organisations
WHAT WE OFFER
In return for your expertise, enthusiasm, and commitment, you will get:
- Exciting project work with substantial responsibilities
- The ability to shape and influence better, more sustainable built environment
- Regular opportunities to develop innovative, cutting-edge analysis techniques
- Authority and autonomy within your work
- A competitive salary
- Collaboration opportunities with local and global colleagues
- Broad industry exposure and collaboration with our partners who are also leaders in ESD
- Opportunities for career growth within ANZ region and in global business
- Enthusiastic workmates and insightful mentors in both business and sustainability realms
- Responsibilities within Atelier Ten’s technical practices, thought leadership, and business
Perhaps most importantly, you will get the freedom to contribute ideas and play an active part in the design and delivery of the built environment projects you work on. You will make a genuine difference, proactively, in a way that’s not always possible in other roles.
WHO ARE YOU?
We are looking for someone with at least 6 years of Australian consulting experience in ESD, including experience in aspects of building physics work such as energy and daylight modelling, integrated environmental design consulting, and experience with green building benchmarking tools.
You have an all-rounder’s understanding of holistically sustainable buildings and places. You look ahead and see design problems before they arrive, solving them collaboratively, collegially, and forthrightly. You are an effective communicator, especially of the opportunities you see and the analyses you undertake to test and validate your ideas.
You are proactive, self-motivated, a team player, and comfortable taking ownership of your work. You get excited about learning new things and enjoy sharing your skills and knowledge across the company. You are dedicated to professional service and are willing to help train a new generation of sustainability-minded professionals and business leaders. You have your colleague’s backs, and you bring smiles to their faces. You discover and celebrate joy in the world around you.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in a field related to engineering, architecture, and/ or building science
- 6+ years’ total professional experience in ESD, including:
- 4+ years’ experience in an environmental design or sustainable built environment consulting role, including whole building simulation
- 2+ years’ project management experience, including managing client relationships
- Green Star AP
- Excellent proficiency in written and spoken English
- Appropriate work visa status.
- Master’s degree in sustainable building design, building science, building services engineering or architecture
- Green Star, LEED, WELL, NABERS, or other green building professional accreditation
- Proficiency with environmental analysis tools such as Ladybug Tools for Grasshopper, Radiance/Daysim/DIVA
- Project management expertise
- Team management or leadership experience
- Professional organisation affiliation or commitment
- Business development experience
- Public speaking experience
- Teaching experience
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume in .pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “AUS Environmental Designer” in your subject line. No phone calls, please.
We will accept applications through to 11 November 2022.
If you’re a little bit design-focused, a big bit technical, and are keen to shape a more sustainable future, come and make a difference with Atelier Ten.