POSITION: Senior Environmental Designer
LOCATION: Sydney, Australia
START DATE: Quarter three 2021
Atelier Ten Australia are recruiting for a full-time Senior Environmental Designer, based in our Sydney office.
ABOUT ATELIER TEN
We are an international environmental design consultancy creating high-performance, sustainable, award-winning buildings. Buildings that give back to the wider environment, don’t waste resources and make people feel good. We have been designing for the climate emergency since our founding in 1990.
Atelier Ten are committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and diversity. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most innovative talent on our team.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will work on the creation of highly innovative and sustainable urban design, architectural and building services solutions, involving a mix of technologies.
In your full-time role as a Senior Environmental Designer you will:
- Manage large and complex sustainable building projects, with support from Associates and Company Directors
- Generate enthusiasm for project sustainability ambitions with clients and the project design team
- Lead technical environmental studies including daylight, energy, and thermal comfort analysis, with support from international practice leaders
- Independently scope and resource analysis tasks, ensuring reliable delivery within budget
- Guide junior staff in technical tasks and consulting
- Contribute knowledge and develop local expertise in technical design practices
- Benchmark against green building certification programs like Green Star, WELL and Living Building Challenge
- Create explanatory diagrams and illustrations
- Represent Atelier Ten and in professional organisations
Of course, we will encourage you to develop your own skills too, and work towards becoming an Associate. We will also support your participation in professional and client organisations, teaching, and thought leadership activities.
WHAT WE OFFER
In return for your expertise, enthusiasm, and commitment, you get:
- A competitive salary
- Exciting project work with substantial project responsibilities
- Broad industry exposure
- A flexible work environment
- International work experience
- Excellent opportunities for career growth
- Extensive training opportunities
Perhaps most importantly, you will get the freedom to contribute ideas and play an active part in the design process. You will get to make a genuine personal difference, in a way that’s not always possible in a bigger corporate environment.
WHO ARE YOU?
We are looking for someone with at least 4 years of Australian consulting experience in ESD, including experience in aspects of building physics work, energy and daylight modelling, integrated environmental design consulting, and experience with green building benchmarking tools.
You will have an all-rounder’s command of environmental design consulting and be a leader in a practice of expertise. You will facilitate collaborative problem-solving among project teams, and through your inter-disciplinary experience effectively communicate the design implications of innovative environmental strategies.
You’re proactive, self-motivated, and comfortable taking responsibility across multiple sustainable building projects. You get excited about learning new things and enjoy sharing your skills and knowledge across the company.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in a field related to environmental building design, architecture, mechanical or building services engineering, and/or building science
- 4+ years’ experience in an environmental design or sustainable built environment consulting role
- 2+ years’ project management experience, including managing client relationships
- Green Star AP
- Demonstrated graphic and verbal communication skills
- Appropriate work visa status
- Graduate degree or equivalent 5-yr Bachelor degree in a field related to environmental building design, architecture, mechanical or building services engineering, or building science
- 2+ years’ professional experience with EnergyPlus/DesignBuilder, IES, or eQuest/DOE2 in a in a sustainability consulting practice or related design firm
- 2+ years’ experience in other environmental analysis tools such as Ladybug Tools for Grasshopper, Radiance/Daysim/DIVA, WUFI, and THERM
- 2+ years’ experience leading a Life Cycle Assessment and Carbon Management practice
- Experience as NABERS Assessor
- Experience with project proposals and sales
If you are someone who has some of these skills, or others that we might find valuable, we would love to hear from you!
If you’re a little bit artistic and a big bit technical, come and make a difference with us.
Please send a cover letter and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org and title your email ‘Senior Environmental Design Role’. No phone calls please.