Atelier Ten Australia are recruiting for an Environmental Design Intern in our Sydney office.
About Atelier Ten
We are an international environmental design consultancy creating high-performance, sustainable, award-winning buildings. Buildings that give back to the wider environment, don’t waste resources and make people feel good. We have been designing for the climate emergency since our founding in 1990. Read more on our website at www.atelierten.com.
Atelier Ten are committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and diversity. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most innovative talent on our team.
About the role
You will help create highly innovative, sustainable and healthy buildings and places. As an environmental design intern, you will be responsible for assisting in the development of sustainability visions, providing inputs to appropriate ESD initiatives, and providing design support for master plans and building designs. You will also assist our team in benchmarking programs like Green Star, NABERS, and WELL Building.
In your role as an Environmental Design Intern, you will:
- Work closely with Atelier Ten’s project teams to help shape a more sustainable world.
- Contribute, develop, and integrate sustainable design measures within buildings, landscape, and place projects in Australia and overseas.
- Conduct technical environmental studies including daylight, energy, and thermal comfort analysis, with support from Atelier Ten environmental designers and practice leaders.
- Contribute to projects with green building certification programs like Green Star, WELL, NABERS and Living Building Challenge.
- Create explanatory diagrams, illustrations, and text.Develop Atelier Ten standard documents, business development materials, and other working tools.
Of course, we will encourage you to develop your own skills too, and support your development towards becoming a Graduate Designer. We will also support your participation in professional organisations..
What we offer
In return for your expertise, enthusiasm, and commitment, you get:
- A competitive salary
- Exciting project work with guided project responsibilities
- Broad industry exposure and collaboration with our partners who are also leaders in ESD
- A flexible work environment
- Excellent opportunities for career growth
- Extensive training opportunities
- The best workmates, assigned mentors and our global network of experts in the field
Perhaps most importantly, you will get the freedom to contribute ideas and play an active part in the design process. You will get to make a genuine personal difference to our built environment, in a way that’s not always possible in a traditional, compliance-focused ESD role.
Who are you?
We are looking for a recent graduate or a student in a Masters level design degree with a solid background in building design and some experience with sustainable building design issues and opportunities. Formal subject experience with sustainability is important, as is your passion for the design of buildings and places. Through your education or through other work experience, you will have some foundational knowledge of environmentally sustainable design principles.
You’re proactive, self-motivated, a team-player and comfortable taking responsibility across multiple sustainable building projects. You get excited about learning new things and enjoy sharing your skills and knowledge across the company.
- Enrolled in or recently graduated from a Masters (or equivalent 5-yr Bachelor) degree program in a field related to environmental/sustainable building design, architecture, mechanical or building services engineering, building science, or sustainability.
- Excellent graphic, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Quantitative literacy and MS Excel skills.
- Appropriate work visa status.
- A passion for sustainability in the built environment.
- Topic expertise in an aspect of sustainability in built environment.
- Green Star, LEED, WELL, NABERS, or other green building
certification tool experience.
- Experience with environmental analysis tools such as
- Ladybug Tools for Grasshopper, Radiance/Daysim/DIVA, WUFI, or THERM.
- Experience with IES VE, EnergyPlus, DesignBuilder, or eQuest/DOE2.
- Experience with MatLab or other quantitative analysis tools.
- Proficiency in graphical software such as Adobe InDesign or Illustrator, MS PowerPoint, or Bluebeam
If you are someone who has some of these skills, or others that we might find valuable, we would love to hear from you!
If you’re a little bit design-focused and a big bit technical, come and make a difference with us.
Please send a cover letter and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org and title your email ‘Environmental Design Intern Role’. No phone calls please.