Energy Analyst/Environmental Designer – New York
Who are we?
Thank you for asking! Kindness and curiosity are some of Atelier Ten’s core tenets.
We are a team of environmental and lighting designers championing for a healthier planet leveraging our vast, collective knowledge of sustainable spaces. We help bring beauty and efficiency to every building, because like Maybelline, not all buildings are “born with it.” We work with architects, engineers, owners, and other stakeholders to accomplish their sustainability, wellness, functionality, and visual goals. We don’t just follow the trends of the industry, we trailblaze new paths to create high performance, sustainable, and award-winning buildings.
What is this role on a high level?
Let’s take a moment to see the overview of the role before we get into the nitty gritty.
We want you to be Atelier Ten New York’s newest full-time Environmental Designer with a specialty in Energy Analysis with the goal of collaborating on projects to achieve energy efficiency and carbon emissions reduction goals. You would help produce technical deliverables, perform whole building energy modeling, develop engineering strategies for building systems (HVAC), consult on projects, and lead the industry in decarbonizing the built environment. You would be an integral member of an interdisciplinary environmental design consulting group and a key member of the company’s Energy Analysis practice.
What your day-to-day looks like
Days at Atelier Ten are filled with a large variety of project types from offices, higher education buildings, and labs to large masterplans. We promise to keep you challenged and never bored. Here are some regular tasks you may encounter:
- Learn our internal methodologies that follow the energy analysis protocols of ASHRAE 90.1 (and other industry standards) for new and existing building projects in any location or climate zone. Participate in our customized training program to build on your already robust critical thinking skills, root your knowledge based on first principals of buildings science and deliver analyses for world-class projects and clients.
- Develop shoe-box and whole building energy models (in IES-VE and/or eQuest) to support a range of energy analyses for building design and optioneering.
- Identify and analyze net-zero energy and carbon strategies based on various metrics (i.e. carbon emissions, time of use rates, source/site, etc.)
- Prepare written summaries of work and technical reports for clients or other stakeholders.
- Support senior staff to coordinate the sustainability assessments, energy and thermal comfort analysis, energy benchmarking, development of climate impact mitigation strategies, life cycle cost analysis etc. on building and planning projects.
- Use both analytical and computational methods to analyze unique and complex building physics and building systems.
- Review and interpret project architectural and mechanical design documentation for the purposes of performing whole building energy model simulations.
- Collaborate closely with architects and design team members to make energy and carbon emissions improvement recommendations.
- Assist colleagues with energy analysis-related work which includes simulating buildings to arrive at carbon emissions calculations, annual cost analysis and life cycle cost analysis.
- Working with Atelier Ten’s Energy Analysis practice to develop new approaches and tools to improve team efficiency.
- Develop and maintain in-house databases and spreadsheet tools, methods and standards.
- Attend site visits, project meetings and present analyses to the stakeholders.
- Collaborate with Atelier Ten’s integrated design groups to support the full range of our services, which include environmental design consulting, daylight and façade analysis, lighting design and benchmarking.
What we are looking for
Hopefully you’re on board so far and excited about what your days at Atelier Ten will look like. We do have a few items on our wish list for you to become the next great Atelier Tenner. We are looking for someone who is curious, proactive, self-motivated with an appreciation and willingness to learn on multiple projects. They should have attention to detail, a desire to problem-solve, grit, and an open mind to learn from colleagues, clients and the training resources available. They will possess an eye for improving existing processes, interest in tool building, and communicating ideas and complex technical concepts to any audience. They will thrive when working in a collaborative environment and understand that an energy analyst’s work is part of the integrative design process; they will embrace the nature of iterative design and be highly communicative with colleagues. And if we’re not pushing our luck with asks, you ideally will possess:
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in a field related to Architectural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Architecture, Building Science, Sustainable Building Design.
- 2-5 years professional work experience in building energy analysis or high-performance HVAC design at the commercial building scale
- Experience in specialized building energy simulation software (IES-VE and/or eQuest preferred, EnergyPlus and/or Grasshopper is a plus)
- Ability to develop and articulate engineering problems related to HVAC system design, building envelope performance, passive conditioning strategies, building energy use, and carbon emissions.
- Experience or understanding of HVAC and plumbing systems design for commercial buildings
- Experience with applying ASHRAE Standards 55, 62.1, 90.1, and 189 to new and/or existing building projects.
- Experience with Green Building Rating systems (e.g., LEED, WELL, Living Building Challenge) and energy code compliance (i.e. IECC or 90.1) in various design stages.
- Experience gathering and documenting energy model inputs and outputs; interpreting results and documenting the analysis in written and graphical format.
- Verbal and written fluency in English
- Proficiency in MS Office specifically Excel, Word and PowerPoint
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- PE or EIT in Mechanical or Architectural engineering
- Training in statistics, data analytics, advanced algorithms or coding
- LEED AP+ specialty, WELL AP, Fitwel Ambassador, or similar
What to expect from us?
The unexpected… but also the following:
- Competitive salary
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Generous paid time off
- Flexible / hybrid work schedule
- Emphasis on work life balance
- 401k matching program
- Highly engaged coworkers with a shared hunger for knowledge
- Mutual respect and support from colleagues and leadership
- Paid Life and Disability insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid volunteer time
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Annual professional development funds
- Freedom to contribute ideas and make a personal difference that is not always possible in a large corporate environment
- Really good high-fives
Atelier Ten US seeks to compensate staff based on a variety of factors related to the role and the candidate. These factors include (but not limited to) the responsibilities, requirements, and location of the position, as well as the candidate/s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. We also consider internal equity, market data, and growth potential. The good faith estimate of the base compensation offered for this role is between $65,000 and $90,000. This range does not include the value of Atelier Ten’s many benefit offerings. The compensation range may vary if the candidate is hired to work remotely from a location not listed for this role.
How to apply
Sadly, we no longer accept phone calls, award winning films, or interpretive dances as applications. But we will take the following:
A cover letter and resume in .pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Reference “NY Energy Analyst” in your subject line)