Atelier Ten, a global sustainable design consultancy, seeks an experienced leader to grow our successful ANZ regional business. We will recruit through late January 2022, confirm an appointment in February, and welcome the successful candidate to our team in April 2022.
ABOUT ATELIER TEN
We are an international environmental design and sustainability consultancy creating high-performance, sustainable, award-winning built environment. Buildings and places that give back to the wider environment, don’t waste resources and make people feel good. We have been designing for the climate emergency since our founding in 1990.
From our offices in Sydney and Melbourne, we have been the sustainability designers for significant buildings and places that include the Sydney Modern Project at the Art Gallery of NSW and the Bays West Place Strategy, both in Sydney; Southbank by Beulah in Melbourne; Kambri Court precinct at ANU; and the WA Museum Boola Bardip in Perth. We collaborate regularly with our colleagues in Singapore, London, New York, and San Francisco on places like Gardens by the Bay in Singapore, the SFMoMA, and the Obama Presidential Library.
As a leading global green building consultancy with an established track record and a strong reputation in our local markets, we are poised to grow rapidly in size and influence both in Australia and New Zealand, collectively our business region. Having recently joined the Surbana Jurong Group of companies, all of us across Atelier Ten are also positioned now to join larger teams pursuing globally significant infrastructure projects.
Atelier Ten are also committed to deepening our thought leadership on sustainability topics including climate positive development, circular economy, and resilient and adaptable cities. We are also committed to service, serving in professional organisations and encouraging all staff to teach in relevant university design programs.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Atelier Ten in Australia is currently led by a team of talented, thought-leading, experienced sustainable designers. We are fully focused on shaping a more sustainable future for our clients. What we are missing is a peer who is fully focused on bringing new project work and client relationships into our business. You will fill this role.
Atelier Ten are committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and diversity. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most innovative talent on our team. We also seek applicants who take a broad view of professional responsibilities and are active in professional service or other extra-curricular and complementary roles.
You will manage business development for Atelier Ten in the ANZ region, helping us grow over the next three years from 15 people in two cities to 40 people in multiple markets. As our BD manager, you will be responsible for Atelier Ten’s response to enquiries, expressions of interest, and requests for tenders and proposals. You will write our tenders, working with project managers and directors to structure our approach and shape the content. You will also keep our marketing collateral up-to-date, create new collateral as needed, and contribute to the Atelier Ten website and supporting graphics and project databases. You will also conduct client and major project research, working with Atelier Ten’s leadership to develop strategic plans for the business development that will fuel company growth.
We expect that after you take on this role, you will have:
IN THREE MONTHS
- Formed strong, supportive, collaborative relationships with ANZ local teams, especially leadership
- Assessed all existing marketing collateral
- Developed a basic understanding of how Atelier Ten presents itself to clients and positions itself for bids
- Helped write a range of bids and qualification packages
IN SIX MONTHS
- Formed relationships with international BD team
- Updated existing marketing collateral
- Developed a good understanding of how Atelier Ten presents to clients and positions for work
- Led the writing of major bids and quals packages
- Increased timeliness of Atelier Ten’s responses
IN ONE YEAR
- Developed an annual BD strategic plan
- Created new marketing collateral
- Taken full responsibility for inquiry / opportunity responses
- Taken full responsibility for qualifications / bid writing
- Helped increase conversion rate
IN THREE YEARS
- Working regularly in strategic opportunity research and selection
- Guiding supporting staff to write bids / generate collateral
The overall responsibilities of this role include:
- Writing customer-centric and compelling bids, tenders, and proposals, with the support of our technical experts.
- Proactive collaboration with bid content contributors, including content editing for clarity, voice, and impact.
- Improving the process of bid/proposal writing to increase efficiency, improve quality, and sharpen message.
- Fast turnaround of BD material in response to ad-hoc opportunities.
- Establishing and maintaining a BD content library, including the process for capturing and refreshing content.
- Encouraging independent use of the content library across the business, including training and support
- Supporting our marketing efforts to drive awareness of Atelier Ten service offerings
- Developing business development strategy, including writing annual business development plans
WHAT WE OFFER
We’re leaders in sustainability consulting with an established global brand, rapidly growing within the Australian market. This is your chance to help shape our presence here.
This is a unique opportunity for the right person. By joining the team at Atelier Ten, your work will become:
- Meaningful: you will help grow a business committed to transforming built environment toward a zero carbon future.
- Varied: you will work with organisations of all shapes and sizes across traditional, new, and emerging sustainability issues and solutions.
- Supported: we will focus on your long-term career advancement, investing in your training and development.
- Balanced: we maintain a strong culture of work-life balance, including established flexible working arrangements.
In return for your expertise, enthusiasm, and commitment, you will get:
- Exciting work with substantial responsibilities
- The opportunity to help grow a business
- Opportunities for creative expression through your work
- Authority and autonomy
- A competitive salary
- Collaboration opportunities with global colleagues
- Opportunities for career growth within ANZ region and in global business
- Enthusiastic workmates and insightful mentors in both business and sustainability realms
While sustainability is not directly the focus of this role, we offer you the opportunity to help shape a more sustainable world by expanding the reach, influence, and ability Atelier Ten’s sustainability consultancy. Perhaps most importantly, you will get the freedom to contribute ideas and play an active part in the growth of the business. You will make a genuine difference, proactively, in a way that’s not always possible in other roles.
WHO ARE YOU?
We are looking for someone with at least 5 years of experience in a comparable business development role for a consultancy or the property industry. Preferably you will have experience working within a multi-office, multi-division business. You will be able to demonstrate how you successfully managed business development for other organisations.
You have an all-rounder’s understanding of business development and bringing in the work. You look ahead to find opportunities, think strategically about their value to the business, proactively manage a response, and put together compelling proposals and bid documents. You are an effective communicator, both within your organisation and especially with potential clients and collaborators.
You’re proactive, self-motivated, a team player, and comfortable taking ownership across our business development realm. You are highly organised, and reliably deliver your work in advance of deadlines. You take pride in your work, including the details. You are willing to dedicate yourself to repetitive tasks that require deep concentration. You have your colleague’s backs, and you bring smiles to their faces. You discover and celebrate joy in the world around you.
- University degree and associated disciplinary qualifications (business, marketing, communications, or journalism)
- 5+ years in a business development role
- 3+ years in a BD management role
- Bid and tender writing expertise
- Qualifications writing expertise
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including an ability to write succinctly and unambiguously in language appropriate for business
- Commercial acumen regarding fees and their relationship to scopes of work
- Highly organised, and able to work reliably under pressure
- Advanced Adobe Creative Suite skills (especially InDesign), advanced MS Word skills (especially templates), strong PowerPoint skills.
- Appropriate work visa status
- Project management expertise
- Team management or leadership experience
- Experience with business management and reporting in a multi-office or multi-business unit company
- Professional organisation affiliation or commitment
- Sustainability awareness or experience
- Public speaking experience
Please send a cover letter and resume in PDF format to email@example.com and title your email ‘Business Development Manager’. No phone calls please.
We will accept applications through: 30 January 2022
We plan to conduct preliminary interviews in the first week of February, complete second interviews in mid-February, and have selected you as our Business Development Manager, ANZ region by the end of February. We prefer you to start work with us no later than the beginning of April 2022.
If you’re excited to help grow a business, are looking to work with thoughtful colleagues and a great team, respect the responsibility that comes with authority and autonomy, and are keen to shape a more sustainable future, come join our team at Atelier Ten.