Atelier Ten, a global sustainable design consultancy, seeks an experienced Senior Sustainability Building Manager
ABOUT ATELIER TEN
We are an international environmental design and sustainability consultancy creating high-performance, sustainable, award-winning built environment. Buildings and places that give back to the wider environment, don’t waste resources and make people feel good. We have been designing for the climate emergency since our founding in 1990. Read more on our website at www.atelierten.com.
From our offices in Sydney and Melbourne, we have been the sustainability designers for significant buildings and places that include the Sydney Modern Project at the Art Gallery of NSW and the Bays West Place Strategy, both in Sydney; Southbank by Beulah in Melbourne; Kambri Court precinct at ANU; and the WA Museum Booda Barlip in Perth. We collaborate regularly with our colleagues in Singapore, London, New York, and San Francisco on places like Gardens By The Bay in Singapore, the SFMoMA, and the Obama Presidential Library.
As a leading global green building consultancy with an established track record and a strong reputation in our local markets, we are poised to grow rapidly in size and influence both in Australia and New Zealand, collectively our business region. Having recently joined the Surbana Jurong Group of companies, all of us across Atelier Ten are also positioned now to join larger teams pursuing globally significant infrastructure projects.
Atelier Ten are also committed to deepening our thought leadership on sustainability topics including climate positive development, circular economy, and resilient and adaptable cities. We are also committed to service, encouraging all staff to be active in professional organisations teach in relevant university design programs.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Atelier Ten in Australia features a team of talented, thought-leading, experienced sustainable designers. We are fully focused on shaping a more sustainable future for our clients. What we are missing is a Senior Sustainability Building Manager who can serve as a trusted project manager to our clients who is efficient in leading project meetings with the team members, owners, architects, consultants, and contractors to review on the work programs on a timely basis over the design and construction phases. You will fill this role.
Atelier Ten are committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and diversity. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most innovative talent on our team. We also seek applicants who take a broad view of professional responsibilities and are active in professional service, teaching, or other extra-curricular and complementary roles.
The job is a full-time position in our Melbourne or Sydney office, working within our integrated team of environmental design consultants, sharing your passion for high performance architecture, project management and building science. You will get to work on exciting and innovative projects ranging from mixed use developments, education, commercial, institutional buildings, and masterplans. You will work directly with clients, architects, engineers, and other consultants to provide project management, tender management and recommendations that drive design decisions, enabling projects to meet challenging timelines.
Your role will focus on:
- Ensuring adherence to building legislation and standards for building performance, quality, cost and safety.
- Effective in preparing documents and coordinating for local authority submissions
- Building performance evaluation – Energy, daylight, thermal and visual comfort, airflow, and other technical analysis reviews – across a range of projects that could include performance requirements around net zero carbon, local building codes like Green Star, NABERS, LEED, WELL, Living Building Challenge, Passive House, Section J, and NatHERS.
- Your work will involve in preparing tender bids which will aid in the selection of contractors and oversee the progress of the contractor/subcontractor works.
- You will manage your time and budget including works like labour resource planning to ensure projects are completed in time without delays.
- You will contribute to the technical design practice and help junior team members deliver tasks.
- You will be assisting on building inspections during the post construction phases.
More specifically, we expect you will:
IN THREE MONTHS
- Formed strong, supportive, collaborative relationships with your team members and colleagues across Australia
- Developed a familiarity with A10 methodologies for analysis using productivity tools like IES, BIM, Revit etc.
- Develop familiarity with local codes and building legislation including Section J and NABERS (if new to Australia)
- Begun assisting with fee proposals, tender bids, and contracts
IN SIX MONTHS
- Leading on major construction project management responsibilities
- Formed collaborative relationships with international analysis team
- Developed strong relationships with clients, project consultants and technical trade workers
IN ONE YEAR
- Taken an internal Practice leadership role
- Begun raising personal profile across ANZ industry
WHAT WE OFFER
In return for your expertise, enthusiasm, and commitment, you will get:
- Exciting project work with substantial responsibilities on project management and delivery
- The ability to shape and influence better, more sustainable built environment
- Regular opportunities to develop innovative, cutting-edge analysis techniques
- Authority and autonomy within your work
- A competitive salary
- Collaboration opportunities with local and global colleagues
- Broad industry exposure and collaboration with our partners.
- Opportunities for career growth within ANZ region and in global business
- Enthusiastic workmates and insightful mentors in both business and sustainability realms
- Responsibilities within Atelier Ten’s technical practices, thought leadership, and business
Perhaps most importantly, you will get the freedom to plan, control and coordinate the construction of building engineering projects you work on. You will make a genuine difference, proactively, in a way that’s not always possible in other roles.
WHO ARE YOU?
We are looking for someone with at least 6 years of experience in a comparable construction management role with expertise in sustainable design. You will be required to manage efficient project execution and evidence-based consulting. You will have at least 3 years of responsibility with knowledge on international building legislations, control acts, environmental sustainability codes, which are necessary for building plan submissions and further full delivery of building performance simulation work, including quality control. You will have experience working across multiple building types and scales. You will be able to demonstrate how you have contributed to ideas which would enable completion of projects within agreed timelines.
You have an all-rounder’s understanding of holistically sustainable buildings and places. You look ahead, control and coordinate with contractors/sub-contractors on project progress, identify design and construction problems before they arrive, solving them collaboratively, collegially, and forthrightly. You are an effective communicator, especially of the opportunities you see and the analyses you undertake to test and validate your ideas.
You are proactive, self-motivated, a team player, and comfortable taking ownership of your work. You get excited about learning new things and enjoy sharing your skills and knowledge across the company. You are dedicated to professional service and are willing to help train a new generation of sustainability-minded professionals and project managers. You have your colleague’s backs, and you bring smiles to their faces. You discover and celebrate joy in the world around you.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in a field related to engineering, project management or building science.
- 6+ years’ professional experience in building project management and sustainability.
- Proficiency in IES-VE, including ApacheHVAC.
- Proficiency in tender management, contract evaluation.
- Energy modelling and inspection familiarity with at least one of the following: NABERS Energy, Green Star Reference Building pathway, Section J, NatHERS, GREEN MARK, ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G.
- Proficiency in budget planning, resourcing, and document management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Appropriate work visa status.
- Master’s degree in building science, project management or engineering
- Green Star, LEED, WELL, NABERS, GREEN MARK or any other green building professional accreditation.
- Proficiency with analysis tools such Radiance/Daysim/DIVA, BIM, Autocad for review and interpretation of models.
- Experience with EnergyPlus, IESVE, or eQuest/DOE2.
- Certified Building Energy Modelling Professional (BEMP)
- Project management expertise
- Team management or leadership experience
- Professional organisation affiliation or commitment
- Bid Management experience
- Public speaking experience
- Teaching experience
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume in .PDF format to email@example.com. Please reference “AUS Sustainability Building Manager” in your subject line. No phone calls, please.
We will accept applications through end of May 2022.
If you’re a bit project management focussed, a big bit technical, and are keen to shape a more sustainable future, come and make a difference with Atelier Ten.