Atelier Ten are recruiting for a full-time senior mechanical engineer.
About Atelier Ten
We’re an international consultancy creating high-performance, sustainable, award-winning buildings. Buildings that give back to the wider environment, don’t waste resources and make people feel good. We’ve been designing for the climate emergency since our founding in 1990.
Our focus is on delivering high-quality, award-winning building services and sustainable design. We’re innovative and multidisciplinary, with building services engineers, environmental design consultants and lighting designers all under one roof. Each of us is passionate about making the world a better place, and we all enjoy thinking beyond our own discipline. We add value to our projects through collaborative problem-solving; starting with first principles and verified with rigorous performance testing. We create long-lasting relationships with our collaborators, clients and colleagues throughout the industry.
About the role
You’ll demonstrate an interest in how mechanical engineering fits with Atelier Ten’s approach. You will be responsible for leading and maintaining a range of projects and/or providing specialist knowledge to other projects/teams. You’ll be committed to the delivery of appropriate technical solutions in accordance with client briefs and the development of high-quality, high-performance and sustainable buildings via the appropriate technical standards, costs and programme.
Using industry benchmarks and internal standards, you’ll ensure the timely delivery of considered and accurate project information. You’ll maintain awareness of both agreement and contractual relationships on projects and provide a point of contact between Atelier Ten and our clients/collaborators. You’ll assist with the need to generate business and help foster/maintain positive relationships with our clients and other members of the design team.
As a senior member, you will also be responsible for leading and co-ordinating the internal efforts of junior staff and CAD staff to achieve engineered solutions within agreed time scales. You’ll be expected to maintain updated project overviews and be able to explain the status of relevant sections of a project at any point in time. You’ll also support and nurture junior/graduate engineers in a mentorship role.
As a member of the engineering team, you will report to an Associate Director and liaise with other in-house engineers, the environmental team and members of our CAD team
Who are you?
We’re looking for someone who has experience working in a fast-paced office environment with the ability to manage multiple deadlines. You’re able to work independently as well as part of a team. You’re highly motivated and committed to CPD in all areas. In addition to possessing excellent design, analytical and communication skills, you’re comfortable working with colleagues on all levels.
You’re willing to develop an awareness and understanding of other disciplines; you should understand the importance of collaborative problem solving in a multi-disciplinary environment that extends to clients, architects and other design members beyond Atelier Ten.
You’ll have a keen interest in sustainability, and an understanding of the built environment.
To be considered, you should be able to demonstrate the following minimum qualifications:
- Relevant professional qualification (CIBSE chartership, or other professional body)
- Solid experience with mechanical design
- Experience in successful project co-ordination and delivery within public and private sectors
- Practical knowledge of team project management
- Understanding of contractual procedures
- Proven track record of engagement and negotiation with senior management and peers on projects
- Proven track record of engagement and influence with peers outside of formal management relationships
- Proven track record of commitment and effective implementation to consistent standards and metrics
- Ability to understand and select appropriate frameworks/tools according to circumstance
- Ability to prioritise and think strategically about timing and method of delivering project information
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- Effective IT skills for generating material/data
The following is not required but will help your application stand out from the crowd:
- Interest and awareness of other engineering disciplines
- Appreciation and understanding of business component
- Experience with sustainable design
What we offer
In return for your enthusiasm, expertise and commitment, you get:
- A competitive salary
- Benefits including private medical insurance
- Collegiate office environment in Shoreditch
- Broad variety in the work on offer
- Opportunities for career growth and support for professional development
Perhaps most importantly, you’ll get the freedom to contribute ideas and play an active part in the design process. You’ll get to make a genuine personal difference, in a way that’s not always possible in a bigger corporate environment.
If this looks like your next adventure, then please send us your CV along with a cover letter to Priyanka Sharma at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read our disclaimer for recruitment agencies here.