Energy Analyst, San Francisco
Who are we?
Thank you for asking! Kindness and curiosity are some of Atelier Ten’s core tenets.
We are a team of environmental and lighting designers championing for a healthier planet leveraging our vast, collective knowledge of sustainable spaces. We help bring beauty and efficiency to every building, because like Maybelline, not all buildings are “born with it.” We work with architects, engineers, owners, and other stakeholders to accomplish their sustainability, wellness, functionality, and visual goals. We don’t just follow the trends of the industry, we trailblaze new paths to create high performance, sustainable, and award-winning buildings.
What is this role on a high level?
Let’s take a moment to see the overview of the role before we get into the nitty gritty.
We want you to be Atelier Ten San Francisco’s newest full-time Design Staff with a specialty in Energy Analysis with the goal of collaborating on projects to achieve energy efficiency and carbon emissions reduction goals. You would help produce technical deliverables, consult on projects, and lead the industry in decarbonizing the built environment. You would be an integral member of an interdisciplinary environmental design consulting group and a key member of the company’s Energy Analysis practice.
What your day-to-day looks like
Days at Atelier Ten are filled with a large variety of project types from offices, labs to large masterplans. We promise to keep you challenged and never bored. Here are some regular tasks you may encounter:
- Working with Atelier Ten’s Energy Analysis practice leader
- Contribute to multiple projects pertaining to detailed energy analysis for building design and optioneering.
- Identify and analyze net-zero energy and carbon strategies based on various metrics (i.e. carbon emissions, time of use rates, source/site TDV, etc.)
- Coordinate the sustainability assessments, energy and thermal comfort analysis, energy benchmarking, development of climate impact mitigation strategies, etc. on building and planning projects.
- Collaborate closely with architects and design team members to make energy improvement recommendations.
- Assist colleagues with energy analysis-related work which includes carbon emissions calculations, annual cost analysis and LCCA.
- Develop and maintain energy model, database and spreadsheet analyses, methods and standards.
- Prepare written summaries of work and technical reports for clients or other stakeholders
- Work on multiple types of projects within the built environment ranging from institutional to commercial to residential building projects as well as large scale masterplans.
- Collaborate Atelier Ten’s integrated design groups to support the full range of our services, which include environmental design consulting, daylight and façade analysis, lighting design and benchmarking.
What we are looking for
Hopefully you’re on board so far and excited about what your days at Atelier will look like. We do have a few items on our wish list for you to become the next great Atelier Tenner. We are looking for someone who is curious, proactive, self-motivated with an appreciation and willingness to learn on multiple projects. They should have experience in providing training, mentorship, and group development. They will possess an eye for improving existing processes, interest in tool building, and communicating ideas and complex technical concepts to any audience. Some experience in engagement and outreach in the industry is preferred. And if we’re not pushing our luck with asks, you ideally will possess:
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in a field related to Architectural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Architecture, Building Science, Sustainable Building Design.
- 0-4 years professional work experience in building energy analysis, including the use of specialized building energy simulation software (IES-VE and/or eQuest preferred, EnergyPlus and/or Grasshopper is a plus)
- Understanding and application of ASHRAE Standards 55, 62.1, 90.1, and 189
- Experience with Green Building Rating systems (e.g., LEED, WELL, Living Building Challenge) and energy code compliance (i.e. Title-24) in various design stages.
- Proficiency in thermal heat transfer for building envelopes, HVAC systems understanding, and natural ventilation concepts
- Verbal and written fluency in English
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- ASHRAE BEMP or CEM certification
- LEED AP+ specialty, WELL AP, Fitwel Ambassador, or similar
- EIT or PE in Mechanical or Architectural engineering
- Training in with statistics, data analytics or advanced algorithms
What to expect from us?
The unexpected… but also the following:
- Competitive salary
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Generous paid time off
- Flexible / hybrid work schedule
- Emphasis on work life balance
- 401k matching program
- Highly engaged coworkers with a shared hunger for knowledge
- Mutual respect and support from colleagues and leadership
- Paid Life and Disability insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid volunteer time
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Annual professional development funds
- Freedom to contribute ideas and make a personal difference that is not always possible in a large corporate environment
- Really good high-fives
Atelier Ten US seeks to compensate staff based on a variety of factors related to the role and the candidate. These factors include (but not limited to) the responsibilities, requirements, and location of the position, as well as the candidate/s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. We also consider internal equity, market data, and growth potential. The good faith estimate of the base compensation offered for this role is between $60,000 and $90,000. This range does not include the value of Atelier Ten’s many benefit offerings. The compensation range may vary if the candidate is hired to work remotely from a location not listed for this role.
How to apply
Sadly, we no longer accept phone calls, award winning films, or interpretive dances as applications. But we will take the following:
- A cover letter and resume in .pdf format to email@example.com. (Reference “SF Energy Analyst” in your subject line)
Visit our website at www.atelierten.com for additional firm information.