Atelier Ten is an international environmental design consultancy and lighting design firm creating high-performance, sustainable, award-winning buildings. Our projects give back to the wider environment, conserve resources and foster innovation.
Our New York City office has an immediate opening for a full-time Energy Analyst as part of our integrated team of environmental designers. As an energy analyst at Atelier Ten who has a love for architecture and building science, you will become an expert in building simulation and environmental design. You will use a suite of analytical and scripting tools such as IES-VE, eQuest, energy plus, python, and grasshopper to inform building design teams on strategies for energy conservation, carbon emissions reductions and net-zero building design. This position includes energy analysis for new construction and existing buildings (commercial, institutional, multi-family, mixed use and single family homes in any location); report writing, presenting results and diagramming concepts; interpreting metered data and performing calibrations; understanding and leveraging utility costs and carbon emissions; thermal comfort modeling; providing HVAC system concept suggestions and comparisons; life cycle cost analysis; building controls sequences; measurement and verification; building in-house analytical tools; LEED, PassiveHouse, WELL, and LBC consulting; LEED credit energy modeling.
You will be working with an integrated team of sustainability experts with backgrounds in architecture, building science, engineering, environmental policy and lighting design. Your work environment will be highly collaborative and relies on excellent communication skills in both explaining technical project work, taking initiatives, and in conversing with a wide variety of project stakeholders. You will need to present results and recommendations from your analysis verbally, in written form, and in diagrams/graphics. Depending on your experience, Atelier Ten will provide in-house resources for training.
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Architectural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Architecture, Sustainable Building Design, or related field
- 0-2+ years of professional experience
- Strong fundamentals in building physics and heat transfer. Understanding of HVAC systems and related mechanical concepts is a plus
- Experience with one of the following energy modeling software – eQuest, IES-VE, and/or EnergyPlus (Open studio, Design Builder, and grasshopper plugins)
- Proficient with the use of Microsoft excel and word
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills and an aptitude for creative problem solving
Desired skills: Preference will be given to applicants with (in order of importance):
- 2+ years professional experience in performing whole building modeling for commercial buildings, multi-family high rise and institutional buildings
- Experience with scripting using one or more of the following : Python, R, Java D3 or any similar tool
- Life cycle cost analysis
- Understanding and application of ASHRAE Standards 55, 62.1, 90.1, and 189; energy code compliance
- Experience with New York City Local Laws such as LL 97
- Component energy modeling
- Experience with one or more of the following – passive design, natural ventilation and HVAC system design
- ASHRAE BEMP, BEAP, or CEM certification
- Professional Engineering License
- HVAC systems design coursework
- LEED AP+ specialty, CPHD, WELL AP, or similar
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume in .pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “NY Energy Analyst” in your subject line. No phone calls, please.
Please visit our website at www.atelierten.com for additional firm information.
For recent graduate applicants, please provide a course listing. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States.