Energy Analyst, Melbourne
About Atelier Ten
We are an international environmental design consultancy creating high-performance, sustainable, award-winning buildings. Buildings that give back to the wider environment, don’t waste resources and make people feel good. We have been designing for the climate emergency since our founding in 1990. Read more on our website at www.atelierten.com Atelier Ten are committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and diversity. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most innovative talent on our team.
About the Role
The job is a full-time position in our Melbourne office, working within our integrated team of environmental design consultants, sharing your passion for high performance architecture and building science. You will get to work on exciting and innovative projects ranging from mixed use developments, education, commercial, institutional buildings, and masterplans. You will work directly with clients, architects, engineers, and other consultants to provide analyses and recommendations that drive design decisions, enabling projects to meet challenging sustainability goals.
Your role will focus on building performance simulation and other technical analyses across a range of projects that could include net zero carbon, Green Star, NABERS, LEED, WELL, Living Building Challenge, Passive House, Section J, and NatHERS. Your work will inform building design teams on strategies for energy conservation, carbon emissions reductions, net zero buildings, thermal comfort, and more. You will manage your time and budget on analysis tasks and small projects with the support of your supervisor. You will contribute to the technical design practice and help junior team members deliver tasks. You may also be asked to assist senior staff on business development activities such as fee proposals.
We’re looking for someone who is proactive and self-motivated with an appreciation and willingness to learn. While this role is focused on energy analysis, we can also offer opportunities in other areas as part of your professional development. We will actively encourage and support your involvement in relevant industry organisations. Many of our staff participate in professional organisations, industry conferences and events, and teach/engage with local universities.
In return for your enthusiasm and commitment, we offer exciting project work, broad industry experience, opportunities for career growth and involvement in the design process, and a flexible work environment. Perhaps most importantly, you’ll get the freedom to contribute ideas and play an active part in the design process. You’ll get to make a genuine personal difference, in a way that’s not always possible in a bigger corporate environment.
Who are you?
You’re proactive, self-motivated, a team-player and comfortable taking responsibility across multiple sustainable building projects. You get excited about learning new things and enjoy sharing your skills and knowledge across the company.
Qualified candidates ideally possess:
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in a field related to engineering, architecture, and/ or building science
- 2+ years’ professional experience in whole building energy simulation, including detailed HVAC
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and IES-VE, including the ApacheHVAC module
- Proficiency in any of the following would be a plus, but is not required: Rhino, Grasshopper, Ladybug Tools,
- EnergyPlus, Designbuilder, Diva, Radiance, FirstRate5, PHPP, Adobe Creative Suite, Visual Basic, Python
- Energy modelling experience with at least a few of the following: NABERS Energy, Green Star Reference Building pathway, Section J, NatHERS, ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G
- Proficiency in written and spoken English, and good verbal, interpersonal and writing skills
- Permit to work in Australia
- Topic expertise in an aspect of sustainability in built environment.
- Green Star, LEED, WELL, NABERS, or other green building certification tool experience.
- Experience with environmental analysis tools such as Ladybug Tools for Grasshopper, Radiance/Daysim/DIVA, WUFI, or THERM.
- Experience with IES VE, EnergyPlus, DesignBuilder, or eQuest/DOE2.
- Experience with MatLab or other quantitative analysis tools.
- Proficiency in graphical software such as Adobe InDesign or Illustrator, MS PowerPoint, or Bluebeam.
WHAT WE OFFER
In return for your expertise, enthusiasm, and commitment, you get:
- A competitive salary
- Exciting project work with guided project responsibilities
- Broad industry exposure and collaboration with our partners who are also leaders in ESD
- A flexible work environment
- Excellent opportunities for career growth
- Extensive training opportunities
- The best workmates, assigned mentors and our global network of experts in the field
Perhaps most importantly, you will get the freedom to contribute ideas and play an active part in the design process. You will get to make a genuine personal difference to our built environment, in a way that’s not always possible in a traditional, compliance-focused ESD role.
If you’re a little bit design-focused and a big bit technical, come and make a difference with us. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume in .pdf format to email@example.com. Please reference “AUS Energy Analyst” in your subject line. Selected candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.